Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Review: Star Trek

Okay, it's not really a review. The whole concept of Star Trek is so foreign to me, I could not write a review about it and have it make sense. Instead I'm presenting you with some of my thoughts about the new Trek movie.

• I enjoyed the movie! And I don't even like Star Trek! Kudos JJ Abrams, kudos! I was afraid I wouldn't get the movie, but it's really accessible for non-Trek watchers.

• Chris Pine is funny. I had no idea Chris Pine could be funny. Excellent choice for James Kirk.

• Pine had good chemistry with Karl Urban.

• Watching Zachary Quinto on the big screen makes me feel like a proud momma. I knew that kid had potential when I first saw him in the Off Centre episode "Diddler on the Roof" in 2002.

• Winona Ryder is not old enough to play Quinto's mom. Whatever happened to her anyways?

• John Cho is awesome.

• Simon Pegg was fun to watch.

• Anton Yelchin is adorable. Happy for him that he's in two of the biggest movies of the summer (this and Terminator: Salvation).

• Thanks for stopping by Jennifer Morrison! At least you weren't green like Rachel Nichols.

• Rachel Nichols, what the hell? Why were you green?

• Chris Hemsworth did well in his small role as papa Kirk. I can see why he's been cast in Thor and Red Dawn.

• It's sad that when I first saw young James Kirk, I immediately thought 'Jimmy Bennett' instead of 'James Kirk'. What's even more sad is that I didn't recognize Clifton Collins Jr.! I thought I was well trained in the art of recognizing him, but I failed. EPICALLY.

So uhm yeah, most of my thoughts are cast related. But that's just how I roll. I'll watch anything if there are actors in it that I like. Even Piranha 3-D is looking pretty good to me because of Adam Scott, Jerry O'Connell and Ving Rhames! Anyways, back to Star Trek. Give it a chance. It might surprise you. A 4/5.

No comments: