Sunday, December 16, 2007

Review: Enchanted

After a long and frustrating day of Christmas shopping, and spending way too much money on a gorgeous tweed buckle tote (read: bag), the Best Friend Forever and I settled down in our favorite movie theater to watch Enchanted. When I first heard about this movie in its (pre-)production stages, I wasn't sure what to expect. Amy Adams starring as a princess-in-waiting in an animated/live-action Disney movie? I can't remember which part bothered me most: Amy Adams or the animation/live-action combo. However, when I saw the trailer (attached to a screening of Knocked Up), I leaned over to the Best Friend Forever and told her we were seeing this movie once it gets released. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised both by the movie and Amy Adams.

Enchanted tells the story of Giselle (Amy Adams), who lives in the animated world of Andalasia and dreams of meeting her true love. She is rescued from a troll by Prince Edward (James Marsden), and they are to wed the following day, much to the dislike of Prince Edward's step-mother Queen Narissa (Susan Sarandon). Queen Narissa, not wanting to give up her throne, throws Giselle down a magic portal and she ends up modern-day, live-action New York. There, she meets lawyer Robert (Patrick Dempsey) and his daughter Morgan, who help Giselle adapt to her new surroundings while she waits for Prince Edward to find her.

You'd probably have to be a real Grinch not to enjoy this movie. It's amazingly fun, optimistic and wonderfully acted by Amy Adams and James Marsden, who are both perfect for their parts. I couldn't stand Adams in Cruel Intentions 2, The Wedding Date or her guest-spot on Buffy, but I quickly warmed up to her and eventually fell for her enthusiastic, endearing and, yes, enchanting performance. No longer will I sigh when I hear about her involvement in future projects. This girl is a star. While everyone is praising Adams, Marsden should not be forgotten either. He has come a long way from Disturbing Behavior. I loved his commitment to his part, and without it, his character could have easily been overshadowed by Adams's grand performace. Marsden looks like Prince Charming and has the comedic timing needed to make his character come to life. The rest of the cast is great as well, but hardly as memorable. Susan Sarandon is actually barely in this movie at all.

Sure this movie isn't perfect. Personally, I could have done without the animated Queen popping up in several live-action sequences (that just looked kinda meh to me), but it won't stop me from buying this on DVD once I get the chance. Despite it being fairly predictable, I never looked bored at my watch once! From the musical numbers, the numerous references to other Disney movies, Pip the chipmunk, and the McDreamy-ness of Patrick Dempsey to the stand-out performances by Adams and Marsden, Enchanted is fun for the whole family. Definitely one of my fave films of the year. A 4/5.

No comments: