Thursday, December 13, 2007

65th Annual Golden Globe Nominations

It's that time of the year again.. while I hear Paul McCartney singing about simply having a wonderful Christmas time, I'm talking about the Golden Globe nominations. My reaction? It's a mix between being underwhelmed, confused and happy for my girl Katherine Heigl.

Below you will find a partial list of nominees and my thoughts.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
American Gangster
Atonement
Eastern Promises
The Great Debaters
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Seven nominations for Best Drama? Seriously, seven! And the sad part is I have no interest in any of them except for Atonement. I've seen young Saoirse Ronan give a great performance in I Could Never Be Your Woman so I know she's a force to be reckoned with. I'm not surprised at all she got a nom for Atonement.. I've heard nothing but good things about her performance. The other movies.. I don't know. They're probably really great or else they wouldn't have been nominated. I haven't seen them, not just because of lack of interest, but most of them haven't been released here yet. I'm a little sad that Gone Baby Gone isn't nominated. I haven't seen it, but it's at least a drama I want to see.

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Across the Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray
Juno
Sweeney Todd

Knocked Up isn't nominated for Best Musical or Comedy. Yet, Hairspray is. Are Zac Efron movies really eligible?

Best Peformance by an Actor - Drama
George Clooney (Michael Clayton)
Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
James McAvoy (Atonement)
Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)
Denzel Washington (American Gangster)

Best Peformance by an Actress - Drama
Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age)
Julie Christie (Away from Her)
Jodie Foster (The Brave One)
Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart)
Keira Knightley (Atonement)

The usual suspects seem to be nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress Drama. I'm surprised Jodie Foster got nominated for The Brave One though. I didn't think the critics liked this movie much.

Best Peformance by an Actor - Musical or Comedy
Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd)
Ryan Gosling (Lars and the Real Girl)
Tom Hanks (Charlie Wilson's War)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Savages)
John C. Reilly (Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story)

Best Peformance by an Actress - Musical or Comedy
Amy Adams (Enchanted)
Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray)
Helena Bonham Carter (Sweeney Todd)
Marion Cotillard (Môme, La)
Ellen Page (Juno)

I liked the nominees for Best Actor and Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy a little better. Yayness for Ryan Gosling's nomination! I really want to see Lars and the Real Girl. John C. Reilly is a great actor, but I'm surprised by his nomination. Mostly because I have low expectations for Walk Hard. Personally, I can't stand Amy Adams. I've hated her in everything I've seen her in. I'm seeing Enchanted on Saturday and I hope she can prove me wrong. I haven't seen Juno yet, but after seeing Ellen Page in Hard Candy, I'm sure she's fab in it.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Casey Affleck (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)
Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War)
John Travolta (Hairspray)
Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Julia Roberts (Charlie Wilson's War)
Saoirse Ronan (Atonement)
Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)
Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

I'm happy Casey Affleck is finally getting the recognition he deserves. I knew John Travolta would get a nomination. A-List star + cross-dressing = nomination apparently. See also Blanchett, Cate. I'm always happy to see new talent like Saoirse Ronan and Amy Ryan getting nominated.

Into the Wild wasn't nominated in any of the major categories. I would've loved to see Emile Hirsch get some love. Ben Affleck as well for Gone Baby Gone. And Knocked Up should've been at least been up for Best Musical or Comedy.

I'll briefly walk through the TV nominations. How fast the mighty have fallen! No noms for Heroes, Lost or Desperate Housewives this year. David Duchovny and Californication get some love. I like David, but his new show not so much. Notably missing is THE OFFICE! I'm upset about this one. It's my favorite show! Steve Carell did get a nom, but no Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer or John Krasinski. >. Jaime Pressly from My Name is Earl and Katherine Heigl (Grey's Anatomy) were nominated. Both girls were very underrated before they landed their hit shows and I'm happy they've been getting recognition the past few years.

No comments: