Saturday, December 27, 2008

Review: Pathology

When Dr. Ted Grey (Milo Ventimiglia) joins a prestigious pathology program, it doesn't take long before 'the cool kids' invite him to sit at their table. Grey learns the gang plays a deadly game: who can commit the perfect murder?

When I first heard about this movie 1,5 years ago, I thought it sounded interesting. I liked the concept and the cast (Johnny Whitworth! Johnny Whitworth!). Of course, when the release date kept being pushed back and the movie eventually saw a limited release, my interest had sorta faded. BUT! When I spotted Pathology in the videostore, I decided to give it a chance, because, you know, Johnny Whitworth!

Now, what can I say about Pathology? It's a good concept that's poorly executed. Milo Ventimiglia plays our supposed hero. He goes from a seemingly decent guy to a killer in a small amount of time, and he cheats on his fiancée as well. Why?! Alyssa Milano is hotter than Lauren Lee Smith! But, that's beside the point. How am I supposed to root for him? Plus, he's kinda lacking in the personality department. In contrast, Michael Weston is very effective as Dr. Jake Gallo, the leader of the pack. He does crazy well and is this movie's MVP. Really, Weston saved this movie for me, cause the only time it's really interesting is when he's around. Johnny Whitworth is a talented kid, but didn't have much to do here. SHAME! Thirteen years after Empire Records, he still looks good though!

About the movie itself, I find it hard to believe that the 'cool kids' are able to get away with their game. They seem to be killing a lot of people in a short period of time. While I don't doubt they know ways to kill people, and I don't think they're able to pull it off without getting noticed. Also, I kinda hate the camera work in this movie and the unnecessary nudity.

I did like the ending. Sorta. I think.

Overall, worth a look if you like the cast, I guess. A 2,5/5.

No comments: