Friday, January 2, 2009

Review: Sunshine

I mostly dig Danny Boyle's work. Shallow Grave, A Life Less Ordinary and 28 Days Later are all pretty damn great in my opinion. (Remind me again why I haven't seen Trainspotting?) Of course I had to check out Sunshine with its interesting premise and the raves about Chris Evans' performance.



The movie takes place fifty years into the future. A team of astronauts are sent to re-ignite the dying sun after a team on a similiar mission failed to do so several years earlier.

SPOILERS BEWARE! Sunshine is a beautiful movie. I mean, the effects, the score, the acting.. great! I was greatly intrigued until the undead religious captain showed up and decides to murder the crew. Was that really necessary? The story was interesting and suspenseful enough without the added 'horror' element. Why did the movie have to end up being Jason X? /SPOILERS

Anyways, the entire cast was good. Cillian Murphy is always terrific and, if I may add, a stunningly beautiful man. I have liked Chris Evans since I first saw him in 2001's Not Another Teen Movie. He's a good actor, but I didn't get what was so special about his performance until his last scene. Fantastic! Now I remember why I thought Chris would become a huge star someday.

Overall, Sunshine is definitely worth a look. A 4/5.

No comments: