Monday, April 6, 2009

Hello, Freddy

This man is Jackie Earle Haley. Former child star turned Oscar-nominated actor for 2006's Little Children. Rorschach in Watchmen. And now he's Freddy Krueger in Platinum Dunes' upcoming remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. [x]

I don't really know what to say about his casting. I've never seen Haley act (yes, shame on me). I can tell you that any news related to remaking Elm Street leads to me jumping up and down in a fit of rage. Okay, no, not really. I just sigh somewhat annoyed. I truly feel remaking Elm Street is unnecessary. I know I don't have a say in it, but still..

[...]

DAMNIT! I grew up watching Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger. It started when I was ten. My best friend and I would have sleepovers and for some reason our parents let us rent Freddy, Michael and Jason movies. It's been our thing for over a decade. How excited were we when Freddy vs Jason hit theaters. The first time (and probably last time we thought) ever we got to see these icons on the big screen! Then the Halloween remake happened, which I didn't like, but my best friend kinda did. Then the Friday the 13th remake happened, which I didn't really like, but my best friend kinda did. For the record, she pretty much likes everything. Best friend, I love you, but that's f*ckin annoying. How many times have you made me watch The Haunting?!

Anyways, the point of this story is: STOP RUINING MY CHILDHOOD! It's not funny anymore. What's next? A remake of Scream? That movie is 12 years old. I bet the Platinum Dunes guys are on the phone with the Weinsteins right now.

Back to topic, what is the point of this remake? When the Powers that Be wanted to remake The Hills Have Eyes I thought 'sure, why not.' The original was crappy and dated, so an upgrade didn't seem like such a bad idea. But why Elm Street? Robert Englund as Freddy? Iconic. Johnny Depp sucked into the bed? Classic. Top that, Platinum Dunes! (I really seem to be hating on Platinum Dunes right now so I have to add that I do love The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Yes, I'm a complex person).

There's a small upside. Kyle Gallner, better known as Cassidy 'Beaver' Casablancas on Veronica Mars has signed on to the Elm Street remake as well. Since the inclusion of big bro Dick Casablancas (aka Ryan Hansen) was among the few things Friday the 13th got right (as in, Ryan didn't make me want to stab my eyes out), I'm sure Beaver will amuse me as well.

Btw, I remember there's one movie my best friend doesn't like.. Sex and the City.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

I'm not in favor of an Elm Street remake or anyone other than Englund playing Freddy, but I really can't complain about an Oscar nominated actor taking over the role. Whether the flicks any good or not, I think Haley will do a kickass job.